Monday, September 29, 2014

Star Crossed Teaser

Her mind was now filled with terror, flashes of what could happen invading her subconscious. Her beautiful face was pinched and tears were flowing from her closed eyes. With a nod, I carried my mate out of the throne room and into her private quarters, locking the door. Nirabelle, listen to my voice. Focus on me, love. Please…come back to me.

She didn’t respond. Cygnarian words were repeating in her mind followed by imagined visions of her dead father, her brother maimed beyond all recognition and my own corpse, staring lifelessly up at her, waxy and pale.

“Emperor,” called Jerasse, one of Bella’s hand maidens, from the entrance of the suite. “Kunnan is here, sir.”

“Thank you,” I muttered, looking up at the tall, bald doctor who had treated my em’tuuk gas exposure. He glided in, sitting down on the chair closest to where I was holding Bella. “Her mind is reeling, Kunnan.”

“She must be terrified,” he whispered. “However, if she stays inside of herself, she could be permanently trapped within her own mind, her worst nightmares becoming her reality while her body withers away. It’s called zi’tkm, or what you would consider to be a catatonic state.”

“How do we get her out of it?” I asked.

“Only her mate can successfully breach her mind. You need to coax her out of her zi’tkm. However, I know that is not feasible since you need to meet with your crew and the Assembly of Nobles,” Kunnan said. “I can sedate her. It will stop her mind from looping her most terrifying nightmares. When the sedation wears off, you need to be with her, love her and soothe her mind with yours. Your doctor, Dr. Halé, who is an empath, will greatly help in that venture. She can amplify your emotions and wrap the empress in what she needs.”

“Speak with Dr. Halé and make arrangements for as soon as we’re done with our debriefing. Also, please ask for Maralice to stay with Empress Nirabelle. I want her to be surrounded by those who truly love her,” I said, nuzzling her soft cheek. “Fíorghrá, I will be back as soon as I can. I love you so much. Please come back to me.” Kunnan pressed his hypospray to Bella’s neck and her nightmarish visions disappeared from my mind. She slumped into my arms and her face evened out, but still looked troubled. “Keep me appraised of anything that happens, Kunnan.”

“I will, Emperor,” he said, bowing deeply. “Do you want her to be in her bed?”


“Yes. I’ll carry her,” I said curtly. My need to protect her was overwhelming and I didn’t want anyone touching her but me. Scooping her in my arms, I carried her to our bed and I gently laid her onto the white, fluffy sheets. Brushing her hair away from her face, I kissed her lips. “Ti-ane mahnu te-atée sa-ahari. I’ll be back as soon as I can, love. I promise.” 


No comments:

Post a Comment