Sunday, April 5, 2015

Star Crossed Teaser

I collapsed on the couch, putting my bad leg onto the table. It had started to hurt while we were in the meeting. The deep bone pain throbbing through my leg was debilitating. I blew out a breath, trying to ignore the pain. A few moments later, my door chimed. “Enter,” I called.

Senator J’ran and my brother walked in, each with looks of concern. “Are you okay, Nirabelle?” Charanel asked, sitting down next to me and taking my hand.

“I’m fine …” I muttered. Charanel arched a brow, looking like my father with a touch of Edward thrown in. “Okay, I’m not. I’m grateful for the help that the Federation has offered us, but I hate that my decision to execute Norex is being questioned. From what I understand, treason is one of the crimes that the Federation utilizes execution as the punishment.”

“It is, Nirabelle,” Charanel answered. “It’s more of a personal belief with Edward’s father.”

“I agree, Empress,” Senator J’ran nodded. “He personally doesn’t believe in the death penalty and he’s trying to foist his belief on you.”

“Well, it’s not going to change. When I capture Liannette, she will meet the same fate as her husband,” I snapped. “Not to mention the Elder who is backing this takeover.” I looked at Senator J’ran. “Do you have any guesses?”

“Aro or Caius,” Senator J’ran said. “Marcusi genuinely cares for you like a daughter.”

“It’s not his voice,” I replied, shifting on the couch.

“Are you okay, Nirabelle? Is your leg in pain?” Charanel asked, jumping up. “Do you need your pain medication?”

“That stuff makes me loopy,” I frowned. “Yes, my leg doesn’t hurt, but I’m an incoherent mess. I’d rather not have any until after we’ve seen the war ships.”

“You need something, Nirabelle,” Senator J’ran chided gently. “Don’t be stubborn like your father. Take a mild pain killer, okay?”

“Fine,” I said, getting up from my spot. I picked up the hypospray, sliding in a milder version of the pain medication inside. I pressed it to my neck, injecting it into my bloodstream. The pain didn’t go away, but it was dulled. “How long until we arrive at Cygnaria Prime?”

“Three hours,” Senator J’ran answered. Clumsily, I walked back to my perch on the couch and curled up. “Empress, forgive me for saying so, but I have a feeling that you don’t trust me.”

“Right now, I’m not sure who to trust,” I grumbled, grimacing that he had figured out that I had trepidations about him. Edward felt the same way, but he was more optimistic. However, he was not held against his will for nearly a week, being tortured and threatened on an hourly basis. “I know you were close with my father. I remember playing with your daughter before …” I trailed off.

“She thought you were the nicest person she’d ever met. You were so kind to her even though she was so much younger than you,” Senator J’ran said, his smile wistful.

“J’ranne had an old soul and a quick wit,” I remembered.

“That she did,” Senator J’ran murmured, sitting forward. “I know that you are very hesitant to trust people outside of your circle, but I assure you that I want this to be solved and resolved as soon as possible. The nobles who were in concert with Norex and Liannette have been replaced with nobles who support you unconditionally, overjoyed that we are a part of the Federation. We will figure out which Elder is leading the charge and we will put an end to this conflict once and for all.” He blinked up at me and gave me a warm smile. “I understand that you need time to see that I am trustworthy, but I will do everything in my power to prove to you that I am with you. Just like I was with your father.”

“Thank you, Senator J’ran,” I said, giving him an appreciative smile. “Please don’t be upset if it takes longer for me to believe you. I’m hesitant to let another into our bubble of trust.”

“You’ve had enough people betray you, Nirabelle. From a man who held you when you were a baby, I vow to you that I will not be another to be cause for your concern. I am with you, Charanel and Edward until this war is over. I pray to the gods that it is sooner rather than later,” he said, squeezing my hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment