Thursday, October 1, 2015

Star Crossed Teaser

By nightfall, the most of the Remans and Alphans were either killed or captured, being transported to the prison on Cygnaria Prime using the Imperial Attack Fighters. There were only a few pockets of active fighting, and that was being handled by the Federation MACOs. Vruk, Jakob, Caius, Liannette and Aro were still missing. Even though the fighting seemed to be dwindling, I knew the war was far from over.

“Here, Edward,” said Jasper, handing me a water bottle. We were in the streets of the Imperial City, just outside of the palace, checking the damage caused by the fires, phasers and grenades. Bella, along with Maralice, D’Metri, Charanel and J’ran, were checking the damages to the palace. I told her to stay inside, not wanting her out in the open. I was afraid that she’d be killed by phaser fire or by a sneak attack. In addition to the Federation personnel, there were the Imperial Guards and the MACOs protecting the palace. Jasper walked over to me, putting his hand on my shoulder. “How are you doing? That’s a nasty gash on your arm.”

“I’m fine,” I said, taking the bottle and downing most of it in one gulp. “I don’t really feel it. I’m just numb everywhere. I’m so exhausted and sore that I’m numb.”

“It could also be shock. You’re bleeding pretty heavily, Edward,” Jasper snorted. “Is that your only injury?”

“I’ve got a pretty deep cut to my back, a few minor phaser burns and I think I have some sort of muscular issue in my foot. A sprained ankle or a pulled something or another,” I shrugged, hobbling down the steps and sitting down heavily. “How is it going in the palace?”

“The bodies are being removed after being thoroughly scanned,” Jasper said. “No sign of Vruk or Jakob. Though, all of the Alphans, if they hadn’t died in this battle, would have died within the next few months. The cellular degradation from the radiation poisoning is quite severe.”

“Could the blood that was found in Marcusi’s home belong to an Alphan?” I asked, taking another healthy swig of water.

“It would make sense. The cellular degradation was extensive, making the DNA virtually unrecognizable,” Jasper shrugged. “Sir, I’m surprised.”

“About what?” I asked, getting up and moving closer to a shop that was now a pile of smoking ash.

“Why you’re not hovering over Empress Nirabelle?” Jasper asked, his brow arched. “You two are usually attached at the hip. Especially with Jakob, Vruk, and the rest of the traitors unaccounted for, I figured you’d be her shadow.”

“I wanted to stay, but Bella said she needed some space. Not from me, but from everyone. However, with the looming threat of those …” I trailed off, curling my lip in anger. “I should be back there. I want to be back there. But, she needs to calm down. Her emotions are running the gambit right now. Not to mention, she’s in excruciating pain from her leg injury. I’m giving her space. I can still hear her, feel her, but I’m close enough to get to her in a heartbeat.”

“Did you acquire super speed as a part of your connection?” Jasper quipped.

“No,” I snorted, placing a black sticker onto the falling bricks of the smoking shop, indicating that there was a casualty inside. I saw the remains of a charred hand and burnt scalp when I passed my flashlight over the top of the ashes. My tricorder indicated that there were no life signs. “It’s a wonderful new invention called a transporter.”

“You should use the transporter to go up to the Cygnarus to get medical attention, Emperor Smart Ass,” Jasper chuckled. “I think all of the blood loss is affecting your brain.”

We worked through a half a kilometer of debris, marking the homes, shops and buildings with black stickers for casualties of war. The buildings that were more stable, we sent in Federation medical teams and Cygnarian physicians to assess the injured. Kunnan wanted me to come with him back to the palace so he could treat me, but I waved him off. I truly was numb from the undoubtedly agonizing pain I was enduring. Compared to the pain of the em’tuuk gas, this was nothing.
When I stumbled for the twentieth time, Jasper contacted the Volvo to transport me back to the palace. I was exhausted and wanted nothing more than to slip into Bella’s bathtub, soaking for a few hours.

Oh, wait. I can’t. That part of the palace has been destroyed.








Just as I was getting ready to be transported, my mate’s mind screamed for me. Her sheer terror made my heart stammer. “Jasper, transport me back the palace! Now!”

No comments:

Post a Comment