Thursday, October 29, 2015

Star Crossed Teaser

Sliding on my ring, the same ring that was worn by Emperor Charel, I walked out of my bathroom and to the crumbling remains of the Imperial Palace. My mate was standing in the throne room, looking ethereal in her flowy white gown. Her hair was pulled back into a low bun. Centered on her head was a circlet with an amur stone, denoting the loss of a close family member. I walked over to her, enfolding her into my arms. “My love,” I whispered.

Ti’ane,” she purred, sliding her hands up my chest. I pressed my forehead to hers and we began the H’aaruune. The memorial for N’essie was big, with crowds lining the streets. The H’aaruune for D’Metri and the other casualties of war was massive, being broadcast on every comm channel on the planet and with hordes of people lining along the streets and in the Imperial City. Everyone wanted to remember and honor the people who died on that day.

Fathers.

Mothers.

Sisters and brothers.

Sons and daughters.

All loved ones.

Honoring every one who died for the freedom of the Cygnarian people and putting an end to Alliance threat.

We walked slowly through the streets of the Imperial City, hand in hand. It was dead silent, save for a few sniffles. Arriving at the cliff face, Bella walked over to D’Metri’s parents and siblings, offering them words of comfort and kindness. I did the same. D’Metri’s mother, Heid’i, hugged me and said that her son was proud to be my envoy. She pressed something into my hand. It was the Imperial Crest that he always wore. “Please take this, Emperor. This was given to D’Metri by Emperor Charel and I knew he wanted you to have it returned.”

I went to open my mouth, but my mate came over to me. “It is an honor to receive such a gift. Thank you,” Bella said. She took the crest and pinned it to my shoulder, just below my communicator. I know you wanted to say ‘no thank you’ but to Heid’i, but it’s a sign of respect to take a token from the family of the deceased. The fact that she is giving us the Imperial Crest that D’Metri wore for all of his adult life says a lot.

I understand, Bella. Thank you, I murmured mentally. “Thank you, Heid’i, for such a cherished gift. I will wear it. Always.”

She gave me a watery smile, stepping back into the crowd. Marcusi stepped forward and he performed the H’aaruune Ne’irite. It seemed like the entire planet was speaking in concert with Marcusi. My heart was pumping deep within my chest and I was overwhelmed by sadness for the loss of my friend. Bella’s hand found mine as we stood on the edge of the cliff. Tears fell freely from my eyes, an emptiness spreading through my body.

Marcusi handed us the lantern, his own eyes shimmering with tears. I lit it and we whispered the final part of the funeral prayer. Raising our hands, the lantern floated off the edge and bounced innocently over the water. We stayed on the edge of the cliffs overlooking the Renien Ocean for several hours, watching the lanterns. With the last light flickering out, nearly five hours later, we went back to the smaller guest house next to the Imperial Palace. 

Bella's H'aaruune dress


Edward's H'aaruune suit

The cliffs overlooking the Renien Ocean

No comments:

Post a Comment